Skip to main content

A Big Thunderstorm


On the day after the June 5th Venus transit, which was the last until 2117, we had the first big thunderstorm of the year.

Before the storm, it rained. Usually we don't have rain followed by sunshine followed by more rain, so when it stopped raining, I thought that was the end of it. It wasn't. When I looked up at the sky, I saw some gigantic clouds. You know the puffy cumulus kind that float by on a sunny afternoon? Well, these clouds were similar to those, only about 20 times larger. These were cumulonimbus clouds - the most dangerous type of cloud. And they were heading my way.

Not long after I went back inside, it started getting dark. Rain began to fall, followed by hail. Lightning flashed again and again as the hail pelted against the windows. I heard that there were 3 tornado warnings. When I looked outside, I couldn't see very far at all, so a tornado could come and I might not even notice until it tore the roof off. I got excited, and started watching very carefully for tornadoes. I've already seen a tornado once, but that wasn't enough; I want to see a few more. Anyway, sometimes the hail would quiet down, so I thought there could be a tornado nearby. Other times it would start rumbling on the roof, so it sounded like a tornado was coming. And meanwhile, I ran from window to window, checking for tornadoes. I never saw any.

Some of the hailstones in that storm were really big - the size of Ping-Pong balls, and larger. Anybody that walked out into the storm wore buckets or metal lids on their heads. If a hailstone hit them on the head, it would hurt a lot - those hailstones fell so hard they even dented our cars, one of which was totaled!


Not only were the hailstones large, but they were numerous. They filled the gutters and rain spout, causing the rain to spill over the sides or leak into the roof. I saw water running out of an air vent in an overhang on the outside of our house. My dad went outside and cleared the rain spout so the rain could drain to the ground more easily, but he didn't realize the hail in the gutters was a problem until much later.

After my dad cleared the rain spout, I noticed that a lot of lightning was flashing directly overhead. It wasn't reaching the ground: the clouds were zapping themselves. This was a good time to take some pictures. I set the camera to take long exposures, and aimed it up at the sky. Unfortunately, the lightning flashed at all the wrong times, and when it didn't, it was almost invisible or was at the edge of the picture. I didn't get anything good until the storm died down.

I later learned that many thousands of people's property was damaged during the storm - not only from the hail, but also from tornadoes. There were at least 20 in Colorado that day. And I never even saw a single one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gravity

Imagine the universe is filled with water. Instead of empty space, every inch of it contains pure water. No planets, no stars, only water. What happens? And what would happen if an air bubble formed? The answer to this question requires a basic understanding of gravity. Gravity is very important. It helps hold matter together, bends light, and distorts space-time (which, incidentally, is how it bends light). It also makes it possible to play football, and as Americans are big football fans, they would certainly agree that we couldn't live without it. Unfortunately, many Americans don't understand how gravity works. Admittedly, scientists haven't figured out a lot of things, but we do understand it well enough to make predictions and model physical events. One of the important things about gravity is that its strength is proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance. In other words, it gets weaker as you get farther away, based on the equation: F = c/d 2 where c ...

Too Bright, Too Dark

The visible world around us is constantly changing. One second we may have the sun in our eyes, and another we're in a dark closet trying to find the light switch. Such fluctuations in brightness could have ended up being a serious problem for our vision if it weren't for a handy built-in feature: our eyes automatically adapt to the lighting conditions of the surrounding environment. Most people are well aware that their pupils change size to handle lighting conditions. A larger pupil admits more light and makes the scene brighter, while a smaller pupil admits less light and makes the scene dimmer. This mechanism is fast and effective, and is controlled by the brain stem, which acts autonomously - you don't even have to think about it. As useful as this type of adaptation may be, it has some limitations. For example, most artificial lighting is 20 times dimmer than the sun, while pupil dilation only brightens light by a factor of 4 (when compared with a fully constricted pu...

2014 in Photos

The year of 2014 is over; the year of 2015 has begun. Over the past year, I took a lot of pictures - more than 1200 photos of clouds, bugs, plants, rocks, and more. I deleted most of the low-quality and repetitive photos. Then, I selected 20 of the remaining photos which I thought were the most interesting or significant. In this post, I'll include those photos, in chronological order. Spring 1. Cold Hummingbird I took this photo after a late snowstorm in Spring. In the days leading up to the storm, it was warm and sunny and the fields were green, so the snow came rather unexpectedly. During the storm, one of the hummingbirds at our feeder was covered in ice and could barely fly. This hummingbird was more fortunate, but unlucky nevertheless. 2. Green Landscape I took this photo on the side of a biking trail. I didn't edit or crop the photo - this is how it looked. 3. Indian Paintbrush The Indian Paintbrush is an unusual flower. What appear to be flower petals are actually brigh...